Planning a wedding was never easy, and it probably never will be. While we could argue about who had it worse, it seems that 2021 brides will face challenges they couldn’t have foreseen in any of the scenarios they played in their heads.
If you’re trying to decide what’s the best option out there, read the wedding industry statistics below to get a general sense of what you’re dealing with before you bravely start your journey.
Read on and find out how weddings are organized around the world, how they differ in the US and the latest trends in planning a successful and safe wedding in 2021.
Top 10 Wedding Industry Statistics for 2021
- 87% of engagement rings are diamond rings.
- Wedding planning industry statistics show that roses are the most popular flowers at weddings.
- Only 25% of Millennial weddings include religious institutions or traditions, according to the wedding planning statistics.
- A wedding in Mauritius costs $533 in total.
- Family members or friends officiate 43% of American weddings.
- According to the wedding industry statistics for 2021, $3000 virtual weddings are rising in popularity.
- 48.5% of the couples regret making their wedding expenses.
- Wedding planning statistics in America reveal that the wedding cost difference by the state goes up to $30,000.
- The average UAE wedding costs $185,000.
- The average length of marriage statistics showed that couples who have an expensive wedding are more likely to get a divorce.
Worldwide Wedding Industry Statistics to Get You Started
People are always intrigued by foreign customs and traditions. Sometimes, these differences can make two weddings have only the name in common.
Guided by this curiosity, we researched a bit. We want to share our findings with you — how Indian marriages work, what brides around the world like to wear, and when people generally get married.
1. According to the wedding industry statistics for 2021, $3000 virtual weddings are rising in popularity.
Since the pandemic, the wedding planning industry was forced to get creative, as a lot of couples opted for canceling instead of rescheduling. While some chose to organize micro weddings with up to 25 guests, a number of vendors included virtual weddings in their offers.
The price usually includes the ceremony, a live stream, and real-time chats so the couple can communicate with their loved ones.
2. Only 25% of Millennial weddings include religious institutions or traditions, according to the wedding planning statistics.
Even before the pandemic, the wedding industry growth rate has indicated a 7.1% decrease in the past five years. Recent wedding market trends show that couples now go for small, intimate gatherings instead of glamorous receptions.
3. The UK wedding industry statistics show that more than 50% of couples would like to receive money as a gift.
This is not a big surprise, as they usually use it to cover the wedding expenses. The wedding cost statistics revealed that 33% of couples overspend on food when organizing their wedding.
In comparison, 29% spend too much on the honeymoon and the guests. A further 27% overspend on flowers and bride’s gown. Only 9% of couples overspend on videography, which typically costs £360 in the United Kingdom.
4. A wedding in Mauritius costs $533 in total.
That makes Mauritius the most affordable place to get married in, according to their wedding industry revenue. Sri Lanka comes in second with $1,128 to cover everything you may need on your special day.
5. Wedding industry statistics in Australia reveal that 81% of women and 79.7% of men got married for the first time in 2018.
There were 119,188 marriages on the continent, up 5.5% since the previous year in 2017. Typically, the grooms were 32.4 years old, while the brides 30.5.
The statistics from 2018 also reveal that 5.5% of all marriages were between same-sex couples. Lesbian marriages accounted for 57.8% of gay marriages in the United Kingdom that year.
6. 12% of Australians have weddings in November and March.
When it comes to the wedding industry in Australia, statistics show that the most popular seasons to get hitched in the country are spring and autumn. Following November and March, 11% of weddings are held in October and 10% in April.
The months that are least likely to witness nuptials are June and July, with only 5%.
7. The average UAE wedding costs $185,000.
While it is true that this has to do a lot with the fact that vendors have high prices, it also has to do with the average wedding size — it is not rare that these are attended by over 1500 people.
Average wedding cost data shows that Australia follows with what looks like ‘only’ $67,032.
8. 74% of brides in the United Kingdom are likely to have either ivory or white wedding dresses.
The bridal fashion industry is huge, and there’s no better illustration than colorful wedding dresses.
The second most popular wedding color shade in 2019 was pink, and 36% of brides wore it. Furthermore, 34% chose blue, while 20% went for the color purple. Finally, 4% of couples included black as part of their grand day.
The US Wedding Industry Statistics
Say Yes to the Dress? 90-day Fiancee? These just show how vast and interesting the American wedding industry is.
It is undoubtedly the world’s most incredible wedding industry, which is why we wish to dedicate a bit more attention to it.
If you’ve been brave enough to say ‘Yes’ in 2021, read on and find out the latest trends among American couples. There are some additional numbers to get you more familiar with the industry on the whole, to reduce the stress and help you find balance.
9. Wedding planning statistics in America reveal that the wedding cost difference by the state goes up to $30,000.
The average price for weddings in Utah is $19,700, which is reasonable. However, a Rhode Island wedding costs $49,800.
Wedding cost statistics also list New York ($48,600) and Massachusetts ($43,600) as other states on the list of costly wedding destinations.
10. The US wedding industry statistics suggest that 80% of engaged couples are Millennials.
FYI, this means they were born between 1981–1996. The statistics also show that Millennials are more likely to go for formal proposals, and 70% of them ask for a parental blessing before getting down on one knee.
11. 87% of engagement rings are diamond rings.
While a typical wedding budget almost never includes expenses made before the wedding, the truth is that expenses start with the proposal.
For 50% of couples, this means some $5,000 spent on the engagement ring, and it can easily turn into $10,000 or more.
12. Wedding planning statistics suggest that 25% of couples celebrate their engagement by organizing a party.
However, another 25% of newly-engaged couples celebrate by inviting friends and relatives to share their happiness after a month or more. The stats also reveal that couples start planning for their big day about a month after the celebration.
13. The wedding industry growth rate shows a decrease of 7.1% every year.
Wedding cost statistics show that the wedding-related services market size is worth $55 billion. Despite the decline, the industry has around 336,296 businesses and 965,046 active jobs.
14. Wedding industry statistics show that newly engaged couples spend approximately $4 billion on furniture.
Stats on engagement in the United States show that three out of four couples start living together before tying the knot. During the engagement, couples spend around $3 billion in housewares and $400 million in tableware
15. 30% of the time, the bride and groom pay for the wedding on their own.
The wedding industry statistics reveal that the bride’s father’s tradition of paying for the wedding’s total cost is fading. Nowadays, this is the case only 17% of the time. The rest of the time, the costs are covered by different sources.
16. Family members or friends officiate 43% of American weddings.
Also, only 33% of American weddings are performed in religious institutions such as a church. At the same time, the stats reveal that this number will continue to decline. On average, there are 136 guests at a wedding.
Wedding Cost Statistics to Make You Reconsider Your Budget
Having a budget is crucial to successful wedding planning. It is also important to be realistic about it. After all, it’s love that matters!
You may have always wanted a fairytale royal wedding, but the numbers indicate that you’ll probably regret it soon. Let’s see what else the numbers say.
17. The average length of marriage statistics showed that couples who have an expensive wedding are more likely to get a divorce.
Apparently, those who spend $20,000 are 46% more likely to get a divorce than those who go for cheaper ceremonies.
18. A wedding venue can cost up to half a million.
If you want to say ‘Yes’ at Key West in Florida, be ready to cash out $500,000—it is the most expensive and exclusive wedding venue in the world.
19. 25% of American Millennials research venues before getting engaged, according to the wedding venue industry statistics.
Based on the statistics, the number one wedding-related term on Google is “wedding planner,” followed by “wedding checklist,” “Christmas wedding planner,” and “how to plan a wedding.” “Wedding venue near me” is the fifth most popular US wedding search term in 2018.
20. Wedding planning industry statistics show that roses are the most popular flowers at weddings.
It’s an easy choice — roses equal romance. The most cherished types of roses at weddings are hybrid tea roses, spray roses, and garden roses.
The second most popular flowers are tulips, followed by calla lilies and lily of the valley.
21. 48.5% of the couples regret making their wedding expenses.
To be more precise, they think that some of their expenses were a waste of money — wedding planners, videography, and wedding favors are all on this list.
Interestingly enough, makeup and beauty services are nowhere to be found on this regrettable list.
How much is the wedding industry worth in the US?
As previously mentioned in this article, the wedding industry in the United States is worth $78 billion, making it the world’s largest wedding industry. Also, there are around 377,045 businesses in the industry, whereas industry employment surpasses 1 million.
The wedding services industry in the United States provides couples with a wide array of service providers, venues, and apparel retailers.
Is the wedding industry growing?
The marriage rate in the United States has been on a decline over the past couple of decades. Therefore, the wedding industry has been held back in growth from 2014 to 2019.
Even though fewer couples tie the knot, those who do spend more money on their big day. Thus, experts believe that the industry revenue will expand by 0.8% over the next couple of years.
How much is the UK wedding industry worth?
According to statistics from 2018, the United Kingdom’s wedding industry is worth an impressive £10 billion. Experts believe that this figure will continue to grow. A survey has shown that a typical wedding in the United Kingdom costs £30,355, up 12% from 2017.
The suppliers have increased their average cost by 12%, so the British are not the ones suddenly going for more expensive weddings.
Is the wedding industry profitable?
Like in most other industries, the initial investment to start a business inside the wedding industry can be quite hefty. However, the wedding industry is profitable, even in the times like this. Despite the pandemic, people are still getting married — wedding celebrations have changed, but they are still there.
Finding the one, building a healthy relationship, and getting married are never easy. It is a big life decision. The wedding industry is a multi-billion industry, and the figures are growing steadily day by day. Finding yourself surrounded by all the offers, tips, and advice can look scary.
Hopefully, our wedding industry statistics brought the topic closer to your heart so you can start planning your big day. Cheers!
- Kristin Binford
- The Knot
- Wedding Report