If you think the wedding industry consists entirely of beauty suppliers and honeymoon planners, then think again. In reality, the wedding industry is a gigantic business, consisting of different smaller enterprises that are a vital part of specific industries such as wedding consultants, photographers, and caterers.
So, if you or a loved one are planning the “big day” or you just want to find out more about this multi-billion industry, then check out these wedding industry statistics below.
Top 10 Statistics About the Wedding Industry
- Nowadays, 80% of engaged couples belong to the Millennial generation.
- 40% of couples choose the engagement ring together.
- Wedding industry statistics from 2017 reveal that couples between the ages of 18–34 are 7 times more likely to share their engagement online.
- There are over 2 million marriages in the United States every year.
- Family members or friends officiate 43% of American weddings.
- The total value of the Indian wedding industry is $50 billion.
- Wedding industry statistics show that more than 50% of couples in the United Kingdom claim they would like to receive money from the wedding guests.
- 65% of couples in Australia choose a DJ to play music at their wedding.
- Based on statistics from 2016, 41% of brides in the UK wore a strapless gown on their wedding day.
- Before getting engaged, 25% of American Millennials research venues.
Engagement Statistics in the United States
1. According to the wedding industry statistics from 2019, 99% of the time, the grooms are the ones who propose.
The statistics concerning engagement in the United States also show that 40% of engagements occur between December and March. Couples are more likely to get engaged during the festive months, as the magical atmosphere gives grooms the necessary courage and inspires a romantic mood.
2. Nowadays, 80% of engaged couples belong to the Millennial generation.
The US wedding industry statistics reveal that today, the majority of engaged couples are individuals born between 1981–1996. The statistics also show that Millennials are more likely to go for traditional proposals, and 70% of them ask for a parental blessing before getting down on one knee.
3. 40% of couples choose an engagement ring together.
Even though the remaining 60% of engaged couples may belong to other generations, almost everyone splurges on beautiful rings. These expensive gifts cost an average of $5000, as the statistics from 2016 show. The wedding industry statistics from the 2016 also reveal that the average price of an engagement ring is estimated to correspond to a typical two-month salary in America.
4. 25% of couples celebrate their engagement by organizing a party soon after the proposal.
However, another 25% of newly-engaged couples celebrate by inviting friends and relatives to share their happiness after a month or more. Also, the stats reveal that couples start planning for their big day about a month after the celebration.
5. Wedding industry statistics from 2017 show that couples between the ages of 18–34 are 7 times more likely to share their engagement online.
This statistic does not come as a surprise. There is a rise in the use of social media, online dating is all the rage, and people are not getting off their phones. Even though we can still see the more traditional engagement announcements in newspapers, an increasing number of people prefer pictures on social media with hashtags such as #justengaged.
6. Wedding industry statistics show that newly engaged couples spend approximately $4 billion on furniture.
Stats on engagement in the United States show that three out of four couples start living together before tying the knot. During the engagement, couples spend around $3 billion in housewares and $400 million in tableware.
Wedding Industry in the United States
7. There are over 2 million marriages in the United States every year.
According to wedding industry statistics from 2010, 2.1 million couples in the United States tied the knot that year, which means there were 5,750 weddings every day. However, the more recent statistics from 2017 show that the number of marriages in America is over 2,2 million. Furthermore, the marriage rate is 6.9 per 1,000 of the total population.
8. Nowadays, 30% of the time, the bride and groom pay for the wedding on their own.
The wedding industry statistics reveal that the tradition of the bride’s father paying for the total cost of the wedding is fading. Nowadays, this is the case only 17% of the time. The rest of the time, the costs are covered by different sources.
9. Family members or friends officiate 43% of American weddings.
Also, only 33% of American weddings are performed in religious institutions such as a church, while the stats reveal that this number will continue to decline. On average, there are 136 guests at a wedding.
10. Wedding industry statistics from 2018 claim that 88% of United States citizens get married at least once in their life.
(tripsavvy; PewResearch; Ampersand)
However, one-third of Americans getting married have already been married at least once. Also, nine in 10 Americans (88%) cite love as the main reason for getting married, followed by lifelong commitment (81%), and companionship (76%).
Global Statistics About the Wedding Industry
11. The total value of the Indian wedding industry is $50 billion, statistics reveal.
The Indian wedding industry statistics published by Statista in 2018 show that their wedding industry is the second-largest on the globe, compared to the United States, which is worth $78 billion. Over 10 million weddings are performed in India every year. Many analysts claim that the Indian wedding industry is recession-proof.
12. Arranged marriages account for 90% of Indian weddings.
However conservative it may sound, the Indian wedding industry statistics from 2019 suggest that the majority of couples still keep the age-old tradition alive. Even though arranged marriages differ by community and region, the process typically begins with the family’s realization that the girl or the boy is old enough to marry. For the female, it is her early twenties or during graduation, whereas for the male it is when he gets a good job and is paid well.
13. Statistics show that more than 50% of couples in the United Kingdom claim they would like to receive money from the wedding guests.
When it comes to the UK, wedding industry statistics reveal that 33% of couples overspend on food when organizing their wedding, while 29% spend too much on the honeymoon and the guests. A further 27% overspends on flowers and bride’s gown. Only 9% of couples overspend on videography, which typically costs £360 in the United Kingdom.
14. 61% of couples in the United Kingdom decided to have a civil ceremony.
Furthermore, the stats from 2015 in the UK revealed that 20% of couples who had a civil ceremony picked a hotel for the celebrations, whereas 18% chose a country estate or a manor. 5% of couples decided to get married somewhere abroad.
15. Wedding industry statistics in Australia reveal that 81% of women and 79.7% men got married for the first time in 2018.
There were 119,188 marriages on the continent, up 5.5% since the previous year in 2017. Typically, the grooms were 32.4 years old, while the brides 30.5. The statistics from 2018 also reveal that 5.5% of all marriages were between same-sex couples. Lesbian marriages accounted for 57.8% of gay marriages in the United Kingdom that year.
16. 12% of Australians have weddings in November and March.
When it comes to the wedding industry in Australia, statistics show that the most popular seasons to get hitched in the country are spring and autumn. Following November and March, 11% of weddings are held in October and 10% in April. The months that are least likely to witness nuptials are June and July, with only 5%.
17. 65% of couples in Australia choose a DJ to play music at their wedding.
The wedding industry statistics in Australia from 2017 reveal that another 35% book a wedding band to play music during the celebrations. Nevertheless, only 7% of newlywed couples decide to play music from a personal playlist.
18. 74% of brides in the United Kingdom are likely to have either ivory or white wedding dresses.
The second most popular wedding color shade in 2019 was pink, and 36% of brides wore it. Furthermore, 34% chose blue, while 20% went for the color purple. Finally, 4% of couples included black as part of their grand day.
Interesting Wedding Statistics
19. Based on the 2016 wedding industry statistics, 41% of brides in the UK wore a strapless gown on their wedding day.
The same statistics have also revealed that 38% of brides went for a flattering A-line skirt, whereas 21% chose to put on a mermaid line or fishtail gown. Furthermore, only 20% of women wore a traditional dress, whereas 14% went for a retro look with a tea-length dress.
20. 84% of newlyweds in the UK keep the tradition of cutting the cake.
In the past, a bride would cut the wedding cake alone to symbolize the loss of virginity. Today, the bride and groom cut the cake together, which is their first marital activity. According to the 2016 annual wedding industry statistics in the UK, 81% of couples keep with tradition and don’t see each other before the ceremony, while 79% of couples stick to the tradition of having “something old, new, borrowed, and blue.”
21. 25% of American Millennials research venues before getting engaged.
Based on the statistics, the number one wedding-related term on Google is “wedding planner,” followed by “wedding checklist,” “christmas wedding planner,” and “how to plan a wedding.” When it comes to the choice of the wedding venue, industry statistics reveal that “wedding venue near me” is the fifth most popular US wedding search term in 2018.
22. Roses are the most popular flowers at weddings.
Roses are metaphors for beauty, passion, emotion, and everlasting love. The most cherished types of roses at weddings are hybrid tea roses, spray roses, and garden roses. The second most popular flowers are tulips, followed by calla lilies and lily of the valley.
23. When it comes to wedding planning, industry statistics reveal that 26% of couples hired a wedding planner for their big day in 2015.
The survey of 18,000 people in the United States reveals that one in three couples in 2015 hired a professional videographer. The jurisdictions which pay out the most are New York, the District of Columbia, and Connecticut. Just think about it, planners in the District of Columbia earn around $69,910 annually!
How much is the wedding industry worth in the US?
As previously mentioned in this article, the wedding industry in the United States is worth $78 billion, making it the largest wedding industry in the world. Also, there are around 377,045 businesses in the industry, whereas industry employment surpasses 1 million. The wedding services industry in the United States provides couples with a wide array of service providers, venues, and apparel retailers.
Is the wedding industry growing?
The marriage rate in the United States has been on a decline over the past couple of decades. Therefore, the wedding industry has been held back in growth from 2014 to 2019. Even though fewer couples tie the knot, those who do spend more money on their big day. Thus, experts believe that the industry revenue will expand by 0.8% over the next couple of years.
How much is the UK wedding industry worth?
According to statistics from 2018, the wedding industry in the United Kingdom is worth an impressive £10 billion, and experts believe that this figure will continue to grow. A survey has shown that a typical wedding in the United Kingdom costs £30,355, which is up 12% from 2017. The suppliers have increased their average cost by 12%, so the British are not the ones suddenly going for more expensive weddings.
What was the average cost of a wedding in 2018?
According to a study from 2018, on a national level, the average wedding cost was estimated to be around $33,931. On average, couples spend $15,439 on the reception venue, $2,382 on the ceremony site, and $856 on transportation. Furthermore, a standard wedding dress is around $1,631, whereas the groom’s attire costs around $283. Couples also spend a lot of money on food, such as the rehearsal dinner ($1,297), the wedding cake ($528), and catering ($70).
The wedding industry is a multi-billion industry, and the figures are growing steadily day by day. Hopefully, these wedding industry statistics brought the topic closer to your heart so you can start planning your grand day, or maybe help out someone else in your life.