It seems that lockdowns and social distancing are here to stay for at least a year or two more. This is why now is the right time to find out a bit more about the hectic world of online dating and jump-start your way to finding love in 2021.
If you want to find out more about the world of digital dating and how to get the most out of it, check out these dating app statistics below. Some of them you may already know, some will blow your mind, and some will certainly make you rethink your decision to give up online search for love.
Top 10 Dating App Statistics
- According to online dating statistics from 2019, 39% of American couples meet online.
- The dating industry revenue reached $3 billion, according to statistics from 2018.
- Statistics show that $816 million is the total amount of revenue Tinder earned in 2018.
- 54% of Tinder users are single.
- 85% of Tinder users are between the ages of 18–34.
- Dating app statistics show that 91 million connections are made yearly on OkCupid.
- According to statistics, Grindr is the leading free dating app for members of the LGBTQ+ community.
- 650 million is the number of times female users on Bumble have reached out to men.
- 25% of users share their full names and personal information on online dating apps.
- 29% of online daters have had their device infected with a virus or malware.
General Dating App Statistics to Get You Started
Most of us were members of one or several dating apps at one point, it is pointless to deny so. However, let’s take a closer look into this phenomenon and try to understand it. Are dating apps useful, how many are there and how many people use it are some of the questions we will try to answer.
1. How many dating apps are there? There are more than 1,500 dating apps for different individuals.
Remember, there is a dating app for everyone, whether they are single, looking for a serious relationship, a hookup, or maybe just a penpal. In 2019, the most popular dating apps in the dating world were Bumble, Tinder, OkCupid, Hinge, Coffee Meets Bagel, Happn, and The League.
2. According to online dating statistics from 2019, 39% of American couples meet online.
According to online dating facts, there are around 600 million single individuals who use the internet globally , but 400 million of these singles have never utilized a dating app in their lifetime. The 2019 statistics have shown that online dating is the most popular method for heterosexual American couples to meet. Previously, back in 2013, the most popular way to meet a potential boyfriend or girlfriend was through family or friends.
3. According to online dating statistics from the UK, there is a 30% higher chance that men will initiate a conversation on a dating app.
Online dating apps and websites are increasingly popular in the United Kingdom, and the fact that 7 million residents in the country are currently using online dating proves it. The facts show that when women reach out to men, they usually go for the “average-looking” ones. At the same time, men are most likely to send messages to women who look attractive.
4. The dating industry revenue reached $3 billion, according to dating app statistics from 2018.
Also, the dating statistics show that the dating industry revenue increased by 11.9% over five years. There had also been a 1% increase in the number of businesses and a 5.6% increase in employees’loyees’otal, mobile dating apps account for almost a quarter of the industry’s revenue.
5. According to dating app statistics from 2019, individuals who utilize dating apps have a 2.7–16.2% higher probability of suffering from an eating disorder than those who do not use dating apps.
Also, in women, the chances vary between 2.3–26.9%, whereas men are 3.2–14.6% more likely to suffer from an eating disorder such as bulimia when using dating apps. According to experts, dating app users get caught in a cycle of evaluating potentially photoshopped profile pictures and comparing themselves to others.
Tinder Statistics for Faster Swiping
After it appeared, Tinder gave a completely new meaning to the word ‘swipe.’ Millions of people have joined in to swipe left and right on their potential partner, but the actual scale might blow your mind, so bear with us for these couple of stats.
6. Mobile dating app statistics show that $816 million is the total amount of revenue Tinder earned in 2018.
The estimated amount of revenue on the dating app significantly increased in just one year, compared to $400 million earned in 2017. According to the Tinder statistics, around 50 million users are on Tinder, out of which 10 million are active daily users.
7. 54% of Tinder users are single.
Furthermore, the stats reveal that 12% of Tinder users already have a relationship going on. Also, an added 3% of users on the online dating platform are divorced.
8. The daily number of matches made on Tinder is 30 million.
The dating website statistics further reveal that, on average, there are 2 billion views and around 1.6 billion swipes on Tinder daily. Even though the number of matches on the dating site is extensive, for transgender people, it is only 250,000.
9. 85% of Tinder users are between the ages of 18–34.
Also, the stats reveal that 50% of them are between 18–24. Not only that, but underaged individuals are also members of the online dating website and app. Namely, 17% of teenagers on Tinder are between the ages of 13–17.
10. Online dating website statistics show that men on Tinder swipe right 46% of the time.
In comparison, women swipe right 14% of the time on the online dating website and app. In total, the number of swipes made per minute adds up to 416,667 swipes. The stats also show that the most common occupation for right-swiped women is a physical therapist, whereas, for men, it is a pilot.
OkCupid Statistics to Send Arrows Flying to Your Heart
Cupid makes people fall in love hopelessly, right? Right! Now let’s see what OkCupid can do for you:
11. Having a Game of Thrones badge on your OkCupid profile can boost your chances of getting more likes by 20%.
Dating site statistics show that Game of Thrones, the popular TV show, has more than 2 million mentions on users’ profiles on OkCupid. Also, the users who display a GoT profile badge enjoy 15% more conversations than users who do not reference the show.
12. Statistics show that OkCupid Accounts for 91 million connections every year.
The statistics reveal that the number of dates made weekly on OkCupid is 50,000, which is impressive. The dating site has acquired 50 million users since its launch. Also, the average number of users who are always online is estimated to be 100,000.
Bumble Dating Site Statistics
If you’ve had the problem of getting women to reach out to you when they are interested, this is the app for you. Or if you think you’re bad at interpreting flirty signs. Anyway, just download Bumble and see for yourself.
13. 650 million is the number of times female users on Bumble have reached out to men.
What makes Bumble different from all other dating apps is the fact that only the female user can make the first move and send a message. The Bumble dating app statistics reveal that the average number of swipes on the dating app per hour is 2 million and an impressive 4 billion in total.
14. Bumble has had over 32 million downloads in the last five years.
With a user base of 55 million, the female-friendly site has helped women and men from all over the world match up and find love. The stats show that the dating app generates 2 billion matches yearly, while women initiate one billion of those matches.
If you’ve been into the world of online dating, you’ve surely heard of Grindr. It is by far the best dating app when it comes to identifying and embracing gender noncomforming people and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
15. Dating app statistics reveal that in 2017, 30% of registered Grindr users were from the United States.
Furthermore, the stats on gay dating sites show that the number of daily users on the dating app is 2 million. The typical Grindr user is online for 54 minutes per day, and most commonly comes from the United States, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Brazil, and France.
16. Grindr is the leading free dating app for members of the LGBTQ+ community.
Dating app statistics from 2017 reveal that Grindr is the most sought-after dating application in California, Nevada, Maine, Mississippi, and Missouri. The same year, the app updated its features with a brand-new option of identifying as gender nonconforming.
Frightening Dating App Statistics to Raise Awareness
Online world can be scary at times, and dating is no exception. As we are entering 2021, we should be aware of the dangers lurking in the cyberspace, more than ever. Here are some numbers to consider before you click on your next ‘’Accept.’’
17. Dating app statistics globally show that 84% of personal ads on Craigslist are fake.
Craigslist is a popular site to and sell andap, connect, and perform various services. Since it is a free service, it tends to attract a lot of criminals. There are also plenty of issues with ads related to prostitution. Some of the ads posted on the website have links with kidnappings and murders.
18. 25% of users share their full name on their online dating profiles.
The dating site statistics have also shown that men are more likely to share their personal information after just a couple of minutes (16% vs. 9%). Men are also more likely to share personal details after several months (25% vs. 16%). Also, one-in-ten users have shared their home addresses with strangers and have even sent nude photos of themselves.
19. Cybersecurity is a concern for 63% of online daters.
IT security is the primary concern of online daters. Another 61% claim that they are concerned about losing their private data from the online dating app. Unfortunately, dating website statistics show that 55% of online daters have experienced a problem or a threat of this nature online.
20. One-in-three online daters have had their device infected with a virus or malware.
Unfortunately, only 27% of online daters protect their equipment via a security solution. Also, 16% of the online daters do not take any measures to protect themselves. The stats also reveal that one-in-ten of online dating users have had their accounts hacked or accessed without permission. Moreover, men were twice as more likely to have their device infected with ransomware than women.
What is the most popular dating app in 2019?
Based on statistics from 2019, the most popular dating app for singles is Tinder. The well-known online dating app has a vast mobile audience reach of a staggering 7.86 million users. Therefore, the app is by far the most popular online dating app in the US, followed by Bumble, which had 5.3 million mobile users in the same year.
What’s the best dating app for relationships?
There are several so-called “best dating apps” for online dating where you can find true love and get into a committed relationship. Experienced online daters recommend Coffee Meets Bagel, Match.com, The League, Bumble, Elite Singles, OkCupid, and Once. The great thing about Coffee Meets Bagel is that each user only gets one match a day, so there is time to properly review the profile before making the first move and sending a message.
The dating app statistics in this article suggest that online dating is the new form of dating in the modern world. Millions and millions of individuals are creating new profiles and embracing it. Not only can you potentially fall in love online, but you can also reach out to different people with the same mindset and interests as you.