It seems that lockdowns and social distancing are here to stay for at least a year or two more. This is why now is the right time to find out a bit more about the hectic world of online dating and jump-start your way to finding love in 2021.
If you want to find out more about the world of digital dating and how to get the most out of it, check out these dating app statistics below. Some of them you may already know, some will blow your mind, and some will certainly make you rethink your decision to give up on online search for love.
Top 10 Dating App Statistics for 2021
- Online dating statistics show that the industry is expected to reach 370.1 million users in 2021.
- Dating website statistics indicate that cybersecurity is a concern for 63% of online daters.
- 85% of Tinder users are between the ages of 18–34.
- Bumble has had over 32 million downloads in the last five years.
- Dating app statistics globally show that 84% of personal ads on Craigslist are fake.
- Grindr’s 13 million users send each other 855 million pictures a month.
- According to recent online dating statistics, 39% of American couples meet online.
- Bumble is one of the best dating sites for men as its female users have reached out to men 650 million times.
- 54% of Tinder users are single.
- 25% of users share their full name on their online dating profiles.
General Dating App Statistics to Get You Started
Most of us were members of one or several dating apps at one point, it is pointless to deny so. However, let’s take a closer look into this phenomenon and try to understand it. Are dating apps useful, how many are there, and how many people use them are some of the questions we will try to answer.
1. How many dating apps are there? There are more than 1,500 dating apps for different individuals.
Remember, there is a dating app for everyone, whether they are single, looking for a serious relationship, a hookup, or maybe just a penpal. In 2019, the most popular dating apps in the dating world were Bumble, Tinder, OkCupid, Hinge, Coffee Meets Bagel, Happn, and The League.
2. According to recent online dating statistics, 39% of American couples meet online.
According to online dating facts, there are around 600 million single individuals who use the internet globally, but 400 million of these singles have never utilized a dating app in their lifetime.
The 2019 statistics have shown that online dating is the most popular method for heterosexual American couples to meet. Previously, back in 2013, the most popular way to meet a potential boyfriend or girlfriend was through family or friends.
3. According to online dating statistics from the UK, there is a 30% higher chance that men will initiate a conversation on a dating app.
Online dating apps and websites are increasingly popular in the United Kingdom, and the fact that 7 million residents in the country are currently using online dating proves it. The facts show that when women reach out to men, they usually go for the “average-looking” ones. At the same time, men are most likely to send messages to women who look attractive.
4. Online dating statistics show that the industry is expected to reach 370.1 million users in 2021.
The dating statistics show that this is a 15.5% increase from the previous year. Due to this increase, the online dating industry revenue is projected to rise by 18.9% and reach $3.241 million.
5. According to dating app statistics, individuals who use dating apps are 2.7–16.2% more probable to suffer from an eating disorder.
Also, in women, the chances vary between 2.3–26.9%, whereas men are 3.2–14.6% more likely to suffer from an eating disorder such as bulimia when using dating apps. According to experts, dating app users get caught in a cycle of evaluating potentially photoshopped profile pictures and comparing themselves to others.
Tinder Statistics for Faster Swiping
After it appeared, Tinder gave a completely new meaning to the word ‘swipe.’ Millions of people have joined in to swipe left and right on their potential partner, but the actual scale might blow your mind, so bear with us for these couple of stats.
6. Mobile dating app statistics show that Tinder’s annual revenue hit $1.15 billion in 2019.
This means that, according to the available Tinder statistics from 2015 to this day, the company had a staggering 123% increase in the compound annual growth rate.
7. 54% of Tinder users are single.
Furthermore, the stats reveal that 12% of Tinder users already have a relationship going on. Also, an added 3% of users on the online dating platform are divorced.
8. Dating website statistics show that there are 30 million Tinder matches every day.
There is an average of 2 billion views and around 1.6 billion swipes every day. Even though the number of matches on the dating site is extensive, for transgender people, it is only 250,000.
9. 85% of Tinder users are between the ages of 18–34.
Also, the stats reveal that 50% of them are between 18–24. Not only that, but underaged individuals are also members of the online dating website and app. Namely, 17% of teenagers on Tinder are between the ages of 13–17.
10. Online dating website statistics show that men on Tinder swipe right 46% of the time.
In comparison, women swipe right 14% of the time on the online dating website and app. In total, the number of swipes made per minute adds up to 416,667 swipes. The stats also show that the most common occupation for right-swiped women is a physical therapist, whereas, for men, it is a pilot.
Bumble Dating Site Statistics
If you’ve had the problem of getting women to reach out to you when they are interested, this is the app for you. Or if you think you’re bad at interpreting flirty signs. Anyway, just download Bumble and see for yourself.
11. Bumble is one of the best dating sites for men as its female users have reached out to men 650 million times.
What makes Bumble different from all other dating apps is the fact that only the female user can make the first move and send a message. The Bumble dating app statistics reveal that the average number of swipes on the dating app per hour is 2 million and an impressive 4 billion in total.
12. Bumble has had over 32 million downloads in the last five years.
With a user base of 55 million, the female-friendly site has helped women and men from all over the world match up and find love. The stats show that the dating app generates 2 billion matches yearly, while women initiate one billion of those matches.
If you’ve been into the world of online dating, you’ve surely heard of Grindr. It is by far one of the best gay dating apps when it comes to identifying and embracing gender-nonconforming people and members of the LGBTQ+ community.
13. Dating app statistics reveal that 30% of registered Grindr users were from the United States.
(DatingSiteReviews) (Grindr blog)
Furthermore, the stats on gay dating sites show that the number of daily users on the dating app is 2 million.
The typical Grindr user is online for 54 minutes per day, and most commonly comes from the United States, Brazil, Mexico, and India.
14. Grindr’s 13 million users send each other 855 million pictures a month.
Furthermore, there were 584 million marked favorites who exchanged 7.85 billion taps, making Grindr the most used dating app for gay men.
15. Grindr is the leading free dating app for members of the LGBTQ+ community, according to the dating app statistics.
Grindr is the most sought-after dating application in California, Nevada, Maine, Mississippi, and Missouri.
OkCupid Statistics to Send Arrows Flying to Your Heart
Cupid makes people fall in love hopelessly, right? Right! Now let’s see what OkCupid can do for you:
16. Having a Game of Thrones badge on your OkCupid profile can boost your chances of getting more likes by 20%.
Dating site statistics show that Game of Thrones, the popular TV show, has more than 2 million mentions on users’ profiles on OkCupid. Also, the users who display a GoT profile badge enjoy 15% more conversations than users who do not reference the show.
17. Statistics show that OkCupid Accounts for 91 million connections every year.
The statistics reveal that the number of dates made weekly on OkCupid is 50,000, which is impressive. The dating site has acquired 50 million users since its launch. Also, the average number of users who are always online is estimated to be 100,000.
Alarming Dating App Statistics to Raise Awareness
The online world can be scary at times, and dating is no exception. As we are entering 2021, we should be aware of the dangers lurking in cyberspace, more than ever. Here are some numbers to consider before you click on your next ‘’Accept.’’
18. Dating app statistics globally show that 84% of personal ads on Craigslist are fake.
Craigslist is a popular site to sell, connect, and perform various services. Since it is a free service, it tends to attract a lot of criminals. There are also plenty of issues with ads related to prostitution. Some of the ads posted on the website have links with kidnappings and murders.
19. 25% of users share their full name on their online dating profiles.
The dating site statistics have also shown that men are more likely to share their personal information after just a couple of minutes (16% vs. 9%). Men are also more likely to share personal details after several months (25% vs. 16%).
Also, one-in-ten users have shared their home addresses with strangers and have even sent nude photos of themselves.
20. Dating website statistics indicate that cybersecurity is a concern for 63% of online daters.
IT security is the primary concern of online daters. Another 61% claim that they are concerned about losing their private data from the online dating app.
Unfortunately, 55% of online daters have experienced a problem or a threat of this nature online. For this reason, it is best to be cautious and even do a quick online background check of people you’re considering as potential partners.
21. Dating app statistics globally show that one-in-three online daters had their device infected with a virus or malware.
Unfortunately, only 27% of online daters protect their equipment via a security solution. Also, 16% of the online daters do not take any measures to protect themselves.
The stats also reveal that one-in-ten in online dating users have had their accounts hacked or accessed without permission. Moreover, men were twice as more likely to have their device infected with ransomware than women.
What is the most popular dating app in 2021?
The most popular dating app for singles is Tinder. The well-known online dating app has a vast mobile audience reach of a staggering 7.86 million users. Therefore, the app is by far the most popular online dating app in the US, followed by Bumble, which had 5.3 million mobile users in the same year.
What’s the best dating app for relationships?
There are several so-called “best dating apps” for online dating where you can find true love and get into a committed relationship. Experienced online daters recommend Coffee Meets Bagel, Match.com, The League, Bumble, Elite Singles, OkCupid, and Once.
The great thing about Coffee Meets Bagel is that each user only gets one match a day, so there is time to properly review the profile before making the first move and sending a message.
The dating app statistics in this article suggest that online dating is the new form of dating in the modern world. Millions and millions of individuals are creating new profiles and embracing it. Not only can you potentially fall in love online, but you can also reach out to different people with the same mindset and interests as you.