Dating in the 21st century can be extremely difficult. But if we take a look at dating statistics for 2020, things start to get interesting. Thankfully, there are different ways to meet appealing women and men. One option is going online and trying out various dating apps (Tinder, Bumble, Grindr). You can also try out speed dating, go on blind dates, or stick to old fashioned dates.
Whether you are eager to find out the craziest statistics on interracial dating, what men and women think about first dates, paying for dinner, and the top places for meeting new people, this is the right article for you.
Top 10 Mind-Blowing Statistics on Dating for 2020
- Statistics reveal that 30% of teens prefer breaking up via text message.
- Statistics from 2019 show that 39.80% of singles are satisfied with the dating opportunities in Austin, Texas.
- According to statistics, 40% of Americans utilize online dating.
- 22% of people ask their friends to create and customize their online dating profiles.
- 79% of men prefer to be the ones to propose.
- Singles statistics show that 59% of Americans believe online dating is an excellent way to meet new people.
- 95% of women prefer a man who is open to their emotions.
- 17% of American married couples are interracial.
- Nationwide, almost 1.5 million teens in high school experience abuse from a partner in one year.
- A woman is 10% more likely to be attracted to a man after hearing music.
Modern Dating Statistics
Modern times require modern measures. The landscape of dating itself has changed, and so should your approach.
While the jury is still out about what online dating statistics from 2020 will tell us, you can learn more by reading our article. Check out what the newest data has to say about dating in today’s world.
1. Only 66% of individuals on dating sites schedule a date in real life.
Even though dating sites such as Tinder, Tagged, and OkCupid are excellent ways to start a conversation with strangers who might share the same interests as you, there is a high chance that you will not meet every one of them.
However, when two individuals meet up, the dating percentage shows that 66% are not sure whether they are on a date or not.
2. According to dating facts, 30% of teens prefer breaking up via text message.
(Pew Research Center)
According to respondents in this Pew Research study, ending a relationship through a text message is better because it’s less unpleasant than it is in real life.
The numbers also show that 18% of teens who have had experience in dating have initiated or experienced a breakup by sending a message on social media or by changing their relationship status online. Still, it is seen as generally unacceptable.
3. Upsetting stats on dating show that 57% of men admit to having cheated on their significant other.
Nevertheless, women are not any better when it comes to infidelity, whether it is in marriage or a relationship.
According to the numbers, 54% of women cheat on their partners. The statistics have also found that 41% of marriages face cheating at some point. Furthermore, only 31% of these marriages survive.
4. Dating statistics from 2019 show that 39.8% of singles are satisfied with the dating opportunities in Austin, Texas.
According to data from 2014, big cities are not the ideal places to meet new people. However, the newest figures show that single individuals prefer cities with strong job markets and large populations.
First on the list is Austin, followed by Charlotte (37.74%), San Francisco (36.75%), and Minneapolis (36.74%).
5. A mere 10.7% of single individuals were satisfied with the dating opportunities in Palm Bay, Florida.
On the other side of the spectrum, dating statistics show that Eastern cities scored the lowest for dating opportunities. These cities include Cleveland (18.19%), Worcester (18.16%), Albuquerque (17.30%), Riverside (13.78%), and New Haven (12.84%).
When it comes to Millenials, only 16.21% of them claim that Riverside provides good dating opportunities, while 18.18% are satisfied with Sacramento.
Online Dating Statistics
Online dating is still relatively new, but it took the world by storm. Before it carried a certain level of stigma, but now it seems everybody is doing it. In fact, almost half of all Americans use, or have used, online dating. Read on to find out more.
6. 40% of Americans utilize online dating, according to online dating statistics from 2019.
(Washington Post; Statistic Brain Research Institute)
Even though the success of online dating is debatable, sociologist Michael Rosenfeld claims that meeting your partner on the internet indicates that you are more likely to tie the knot with them. The numbers also show that men are more likely to use online dating than women.
52.4% of online dating users are men, compared to 47.6% of female users.
7. Statistics show that 59% of Americans believe online dating is an excellent way to meet new people.
(Pew Research Center)
According to statistics about love and relationships conducted by the Pew Research Center, more than half of the citizens in the United States agreed that online dating is a great way to meet a potential partner. This figure is on the rise because, in 2005, only 44% of the surveyed people believed that online dating is a good idea.
8. Оnline dating revenue in America amounted to $555 million and will reach $649 in 2023.
According to the online dating statistics from 2018, the online dating audience size in the United States will reach a shocking 37.2 million in 2022, a rise from 33.9 million in 2018.
When it comes to the most popular dating sites in the United States, the stats show that Match.com took first place, followed by sites such as Tinder and PlentyofFish.
9. 22% of people ask their friends to create and customize their online dating profiles.
According to online dating trends and dating app facts, one in five individuals who were interested in online dating requested someone else to help them review and write things on their profile.
The stats show that 30% of these online users were female, whereas 16% were male users.
10. A 2019 survey on online dating sites showed that 49% of participants used the sites or applications to find an exclusive romantic partner.
The newest dating website statistics from 2019 show that almost half of the respondents use dating sites and apps to find romantic love, whereas 39% use it out of boredom.
Furthermore, the stats show that 29% of the respondents use dating sites and apps to test out the website or app, and 23% are just looking for casual sex. It is also shocking to find out that 7% of the respondents use these platforms to cheat on their partners.
Speed Dating Statistics
Speed dating can tell us a lot about dating, and about people. The stats below tell you how quickly people make a decision when it comes to dating. It also shows what matters most to people, at least as far as first impressions are concerned.
11. Attractiveness is the most important factor for men at speed dating events, according to 28.48% of respondents.
(Speed Dating Experiment )
According to data derived from an experiment on speed dating, the number one most important factor on dates for men is attractiveness, followed by intelligence (19.12%), fun (17.78%), sincerity (16.30%), and ambition (8.18%).
When it comes to women, the results show that they value intelligence the most (20.78%), followed by attractiveness (18.69%) and sincerity (18.69%). For women, fun and ambition came in last with fun scoring 17.13% and ambition 12.06%.
12. According to speed dating stats, people only need 4 minutes to realize they like someone or not before moving on to the next person.
Are you always busy with work and other responsibilities and complain that you don’t have time to jump into the dating scene? Based on the results of a study that looked into 1,000 dates, individuals need less than five minutes to realize whether they are compatible with a person or not.
This Stanford University study found that women are generally pickier than men when it comes to seeing a person again for the next date.
Relationships, Marriage and Divorce Statistics
Relationship, marriage, and divorce – a common timeline for many couples. Of course, these are all preceded by dating. Check out our numbers for these three steps below.
13. Love statistics reveal that 63% of married couples met their significant other through a friend.
Even though the best way to meet your future wife or husband is through a mutual friend, 20% of the present, committed relationships began on online dating sites or apps. The stats also show that a mere 9% of females claim to have successfully found someone at a club or a bar, while only 2% of men have succeeded in doing so.
14. People who meet online and get married are less likely to break up within the first year.
According to dating trends, online marriages tend to last longer than those of couples who did not meet online.
Josué Ortega, one of the people who conducted the study (alongside Philipp Hergovich), said in an interview with Forbes that online dating leads to stronger marriages and an increase in the number of interracial marriages.
15. The divorce rate on eHarmony is 3.86%, compared to the shocking national average of 50%.
eHarmony boasts about being a dating site that helps around 542 members get married each day. This site also reports that the divorce rates of couples that met there are lower than avarage. When it comes to marriages in the US, the percentage of relationships that fail is even lower.
16. According to a UK-based survey, couples in the United Kingdom date for 4.9 years before tying the knot.
It is interesting to mention that the divorce rates in the United Kingdom are at their all-time low in 50 years. This may be explained by the tendency for couples to take more time getting to know each other before marriage.
The stats also show that the typical first-time bride is 30.8 years old, whereas the groom is 32.7 years old.
17. Couple statistics show that 57% of people in unhappy marriages still find their partner attractive.
Unfortunately, the reality is that not every married couple is happy. The good news is that the attraction does not disappear into thin air.
Stats on married couples show that those whose annual salaries amount to roughly $20,000 or less argue less than couples who earn $250,000 to $500,000.
18. 60% of both women and men who were unhappy with their partners claim that they would still want to spend eternity with their significant other, relationship stats reveal.
The good news is that the phrase “till death do us part” is still valid in today’s modern age. However, a failed marriage does not stop individuals from walking down the aisle once more.
According to research, 64% of men remarry, compared to 52% of previously married women. Based on survey results, a good reason for this gap in percentages is that the divorced females do not want to marry again, compared to 30% of males.
Traditional Dating Statistics
People still have certain hang-ups when it comes to dating. Some haven’t gotten over old traditions and outdated values. On the other hand, some women actually prefer when men break old gender roles. Take a look at our cooking stat, and the others, for some examples.
19. 1 in 4 females expects men to pay for the first date.
Furthermore, the results of the poll revealed that women between the ages of 25–34 are the most demanding. 27% insist that their date should cash out for drinks and dinner.
When it comes to men, a total of 63% of the respondents claimed they would offer to pay the bill in its entirety.
20. 79% of men prefer to be the ones to propose.
On the flip side, 21% of men would be happier if their significant other proposed to them. According to dating statistics from 2018, the proposal rate in December was at 19% (so almost a fifth of all proposals in a year) which makes it the most popular month to ask for someone’s hand in marriage.
21. 83% of women are attracted to men who can cook.
Believe it or not, women are more impressed by kitchen skills than men.
According to statistics, 75% of men claimed they find a woman who cooks attractive. Experts advise couples should cook together to build cooperation, improve communication, and uncover more about each other.
22. 95% of women prefer a man who is open to their emotions.
Also, according to the surprising dating statistics, 84% of men answered the same way when asked if they would prefer to be with an emotionally intelligent individual.
Furthermore, 16% of men believe females find emotional men somewhat unattractive.
23. 27% of male respondents admitted to crying once every couple of months.
Not only that, but 14% of the respondents admitted to crying at least once a month.
A further 17% claimed they only shed tears at births, funerals, and weddings. It is also surprising that only 6% of men claimed that they do not cry at all.
24. 40% out of 167 couples were friends before dating, according to statistics.
A study carried out by researchers at the University of Texas found that 60% of the 167 couples were not friends before becoming an item.
If you do not believe in being friends with someone years before becoming romantically involved, then just think of Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis. This power couple only started dating 14 years after they first met on the set of That 70s Show.
25. 51% of 11,000 adults who were in a serious relationship claimed they waited a couple of weeks before having sex.
According to statistics on the average dating time before having sex, derived from a study of almost 11,000 unmarried adults, the slight majority waited a couple of weeks. However, 38% had sex on the first date or after one week. Only 11% had sex before going on the first date.
76% of the participants had been with their partner for over a year, and 93% of the participants claimed they had sex with their significant other.
Interracial Dating Statistics
What once was completely illegal, today is very common. Interracial dating stats show just how common mixed couples are today. While this, of course, does not signify the end of racism, its a sign of a very strong and healthy step forward.
26. 17% of American married couples are interracial.
Approximately 11 million individuals in the United States are married to someone belonging to a different race.
For instance, 18% of US African American citizens tie the knot with someone of a different race. This percentage is significantly higher than it was in 1980 (13%) when only a mere 5% married outside their own race.
27. When it comes to Black-White marriages, interracial dating facts reveal that it is 2.65 times more likely that the husband is Black and the wife is White.
Indeed, 73% of all Caucasian and African-American marriages work in this manner. However, when it comes to Asian and White relationships, there is a 3.08 higher chance that the husband is White, and the wife is Asian.
African-American and Asian couples are rare, but when they do tie the knot, there is a 6.15 times higher chance that the husband will be Black, and the wife will be Asian.
28. According to race and dating statistics, 18% of Hispanic women are married to non-Hispanic men.
15% of Hispanic men are married to non-Hispanic women, which means that when a Hispanic person decides to tie the knot with someone who belongs to a different ethnicity, the distinction between genders is almost nonexistent.
When it comes to marriages between Caucasians and Hispanics, there is a 1.17% chance that the husband is White, and the wife is Hispanic.
29. Based on racial dating statistics, 42% of newlyweds in Honolulu are married to someone of different ethnicity or race.
The highest number of married interracial couples live in Hawaii. Honolulu is followed by Las Vegas, which is the home of 31% of interracial married couples.
Also, the rates of interracial marriages are high in Santa Barbara, with an astonishing 30% of mixed couples. Generally, Asians and Latinos are most likely to tie the knot with someone out of their ethnicity or race.
Dating Abuse Statistics
Abuse is sadly a reality for many people. It’s a common fear people, mostly women, have before they enter the dating scene. The info we gathered shows how common it is.
30. Nationwide, almost 1.5 million teens in high school experience abuse from a partner in one year.
Abuse in dating is a real thing, and we shouldn’t overlook it. The stats show that one in three teens in the United States is a victim of sexual, emotional, verbal, or physical abuse from a partner.
Furthermore, one in 10 teens in high school have been slapped, hit, or otherwise physically injured by their partner.
31. According to teen dating violence statistics, 94% of 16–19 year-olds have experienced some form of violence coming from their partner.
Based on upsetting statistics, girls and young females between 16–24 are at high risk of becoming victims of violence by the hand of their partners.
Unfortunately, the numbers are nearly triple the average on a national level. Furthermore, 70% of young women between the ages of 20–24 were harmed by their girlfriends or boyfriends.
32. Based on college dating statistics, 43% of women in college who were in the dating world experienced abusive or violent dating patterns.
Unfortunately, students in college are typically not equipped to handle abuse in dating. According to the statistics, 57% have a hard time identifying abuse, and 58% are clueless on how to help someone who is a victim of dating abuse.
Sadly, 16% of college women have become victims of sexual abuse while in the dating scene.
33. High school dating statistics show that 50% of the youth who have experienced rape or another form of dating violence have attempted suicide.
Violence early on in adolescent years puts individuals at a much higher risk for eating disorders such as bulimia and substance abuse. It can also lead to problematic sexual behavior, and even domestic violence later on in life.
According to the facts, sexual and physical abuse while dating puts teens at six times higher risk of becoming pregnant.
34. Dating violence statistics show that 81% of parents do not believe that violence in teen dating is an issue.
Even though 82% of parents claim that they could confidently recognize the tell-tale signs of dating abuse, 58% of parents are clueless about how to identify the warning signs of dating abuse concerning their child.
Sadly, only 33% of teen victims come forward with their traumatic experiences.
35. Disturbing date rape statistics reveal that 55% of date rapes happened in the victim’s home.
According to the stats, 18% of females and 1% of men become victims of rape during a point in their life.
Out of the above women, more than 35% are between the ages of 18–24. Someone close to the victim, such as a partner or an ex, commits 25% of date rapes.
36. Dating violence facts show that 40.8% of the times the rapist is an acquaintance.
Even though many believe that a rapist is most commonly a stranger lurking in the shadows, the statistics show otherwise. Most likely, the rapist is an intimate partner such as a boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse (51%)
Surprisingly, a stranger is typically the rapist in 13.8% of the cases. In 12% of cases concerning rape, the violator is a member of the family.
LGBT Dating Statistics
LGBTQ+ dating is becoming more and more accepted. However, there are some differences in what this dating scene looks like compared to “standard” dating. Take a gander at our data, and decide for yourself.
37. A survey of 8,566 queer women between the ages of 18–36 found that 61.7% prefer monogamous relationships.
Furthermore, 21.95% prefer mostly monogamy, while 6% chose an open relationship, followed by polyamory (5.3%), and other forms of relationships (5.1%).
The survey also found that 15% of the respondents are currently in a non-monogamous relationship. These numbers can be contrasted with the average heterosexual population, where only 4% reports being in a non-monogamous relationship.
38. Also, the interesting facts about lesbian dating derived from the same survey claim that 71.25% talk with their significant other about sex more than a couple of times per week.
As if that is not impressive enough, 51.5% of these individuals feel highly successful when communicating with their partner about sex, whereas 42.8% feel slightly successful.
The survey also found out a juicy fact; 40% of the respondents try something new in bed a couple of times per month.
39. Based on online dating industry statistics, nearly 70% of gay couples meet online.
The most popular dating site for gay men, Match.com, specifies the above number.
The website carries out a yearly survey on the dating habits of singles between 18–70. With online dating in the gay community on the rise, the professionals predict that these numbers will continue to rise.
40. A study on 958 cis-gender people between the ages of 18–81 found that only 12% of the respondents claimed they would date a trans man or a trans woman.
The dating rates concerning transgender individuals are extremely low. The results of the mentioned study showed that the persons who did not consider dating a transgender individual did not differ in ethnicity or race, but were more likely to have a university degree.
Also, almost all heterosexual individuals excluded transgender individuals from their dating preferences, and only 1.8% of heterosexual women and 3.3% of heterosexual men chose a transgender or a binary gender individual.
Funny Dating Statistics
Dating is complicated and messy. For something that is supposed to bring joy to our lives, many people take it a bit too seriously. Let’s end our stats list on a lighthearted note.
41. 40% of the participants of a study concerning the impact of smartphones on the sex lives of couples admitted to delaying sex because of having to pick up the phone.
If that is not shocking enough, then consider the fact that others confessed to rushing through having sex with their partner to reply to a message that arrived at the time of making love.
Furthermore, the same study found that 10% of the respondents used their phones to cheat on their partners.
42. A woman is 10% more likely to be attracted to a man after hearing music.
Fun facts about dating derived from a study by the University of Vienna claim that women are more likely to rate pictures of men as appealing and go on dates with them after previously hearing only 25 seconds of music.
The study examined the effects of different types of music and found that complex and highly stimulating music has the most powerful effect.
43. Watching chick flicks like “Love Actually” and “Dear John” with your partner can cut divorce rates by 50%.
Based on weird dating statistics derived from a study, individuals who watch and discuss movies that center around relationships with their partners have a higher chance of remaining together. Some even compare its effectiveness to marriage counseling.
Not only are chick flicks more affordable than therapy, but they are also more accessible. Other movies for couples that experts recommend include “Dirty Dancing,” “10 Things I Hate About You”, “Sleepless in Seattle,” and “The Notebook.”
How many serious relationships does the average person have?
Even though it is difficult to estimate the number of serious partners an individual may have in their lifetime, a study of 2,000 adults found that on average, men have six relationships (two of which last more than a year), while women have five.
Typically, men will also experience one long-distance relationship before finally finding “The One.” The researchers have also concluded that 94% of females believe in true love, while this is true for 88% of men.
What are the 5 stages of dating?
The first stage is the romance and the attraction stage. This stage happens at the very beginning of dating when couples are getting to know each other. The second stage is when reality sets in, you start recognizing each other’s flaws and wonder if you are still in love.
The third stage is the disappointment stage (this is when the arguments may become bad), while the fourth is the stage of stability. Stage five is the stage of commitment, or when couples decide to stay together despite the circumstances.
Why do relationships fail?
There are many different reasons why relationships may fail. Still, experts claim that the top six are: lack of trust, egocentricity, compatibility issues, poor communication, anger, and lack of time for your partner.
If these reasons do not get resolved within a specified period, the relationship is destined to break down and fail. Experts suggest to always be truthful and honest with your partner and to remain open. Also, keep in mind that it takes two people to build a healthy relationship.
In summary, the dating statistics in this article show that even though the dating scene is constantly changing (the appearance of online dating sites just being one example), many things remain the same. Men still prefer paying for dates, and many individuals abstain from sex before getting to know someone well.
However, the stats also show that the rates of dating violence have increased in modern times. Have fun, but remember to stay safe!
- Men’s Health
- Pew Research Center
- Pew Research Center
- Reader’s Digest
- Speed Dating Experiment
- Statistic Brain Research Institute
- Washington Post