Dating in the 21st century can be extremely difficult. Thankfully, there are different ways to meet appealing women and men, from social media (think Instagram, Tinder, and Craigslist) to speed-dating. But if we take a look at dating statistics for 2021, things start to get interesting.
Whether you are eager to find out only about the basic dating statistics, or what men think of first dates, paying for dinner, and the top places for meeting new people, this is the right article for you.
Top 10 Mind-Blowing Statistics on Dating
- 27% of women between 25 and 34 expect men to pay for the first date, according to the first date statistics.
- 51% of adults in a serious relationship claimed they waited a couple of weeks before having sex.
- Only 66% of individuals on dating sites schedule a date in real life.
- Dating trends suggest that people who meet online and get married are less likely to break up within the first year.
- 95% of women prefer a man who is open to their emotions.
- Almost 1.5 million American teens in high school experience abuse from a partner every year.
- Dating facts show that 57% of men admit to having cheated on their significant other.
- 22% of people ask their friends to create and customize their online dating profiles.
- 55% of date rapes happened in the victim’s home, according to the date rape statistics.
- 83% of women are attracted to men who can cook.
Modern Dating Statistics for Swiping Right on 2021
Dating isn’t what it used to be for our grandparents, or even for our parents. Today, we put serious work into juggling between all our social media and dating profiles. Here we will look into different stats about where modern couples meet, how they behave, what they expect, and how they choose to end their relationships.
1. 95% of women prefer a man who is open to their emotions.
Surprisingly or not, dating statistics reveal 84% of men answered the same way when asked if they would prefer to be with an emotionally intelligent individual. Furthermore, 16% of men believe females find emotional men somewhat unattractive.
2. 83% of women are attracted to men who can cook.
Believe it or not, women are more impressed by kitchen skills than men. According to statistics, 75% of men claimed they find a woman who cooks attractive. Experts advise couples should cook together to build cooperation, improve communication, and uncover more about each other.
3. 27% of women between 25 and 34 expect men to pay for the first date, according to the first date statistics.
If you’re not sure where to go on the first date, that is not as big of a deal as it seems to be. What is a big deal is you knowing what seems to be expected from you.
When it comes to men, a total of 63% of the respondents claimed they would offer to pay the bill in its entirety.
4. Teenage dating statistics reveal that 30% of teens prefer breaking up via text message.
(Pew Research Center)
According to a teenage boy who took part in the study, ending a relationship through a text message is better because it is less unpleasant than it is in real life. The numbers also show that 18% of teens who have had experience in dating have initiated or experienced a breakup by sending a message on social media or by changing their relationship status online.
5. Dating facts show that 57% of men admit to having cheated on their significant other.
Nevertheless, women are not any better when it comes to infidelity, whether in a marriage or a relationship. According to the numbers, 54% of women cheat on their partners. The statistics have also found that 41% of marriages face cheating at some point, and only 31% of these marriages survive.
6. 28.48% of men find attractiveness the most important factor at speed dating.
(Speed Dating Experiment )
According to data derived from an experiment on speed dating, the number one most important factor on dates for men is attractiveness, followed by intelligence (19.12%), fun (17.78%), sincerity (16.30%), and ambition (8.18%).
When it comes to women, the results show that they value intelligence the most (20.78%), followed by attractiveness (18.69%) and sincerity (18.69%). For women, fun and ambition came last, with fun scoring 17.13% and ambition 12.06%.
7. 27% of male respondents admitted to crying once every couple of months.
Not only that, but 14% of the respondents admitted to crying at least once a month. A further 17% claimed they only shed tears at births, funerals, and weddings. It is also surprising that only 6% of men claimed that they do not cry at all.
8. 40% of couples were friends before dating, according to statistics.
A study carried out by researchers at the University of Texas found that 60% of the 167 couples were not friends before becoming an item. If you do not believe in being friends with someone years before becoming romantically involved, just think of Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis. They only started dating 14 years after they first met on the set of That 70s Show.
9. 51% of adults in a serious relationship claimed they waited a couple of weeks before having sex.
According to statistics on the average dating time before having sex, derived from a study of almost 11,000 unmarried adults, the slight majority waited a couple of weeks, whereas 38% had sex on the first date or after one week.
Furthermore, 11% had sex before going on the first date. 76% of the participants had been with their partner for over a year, and 93% of the participants claimed they had sex with their significant other.
Online Dating Facts and Statistics
Whether you like it or not, online dating is here to stay. Our hectic way of life has a severe impact on our love lives, which is why we resort to digitalizing and speeding-up the meeting process.
Although it does have its downsides and dangers, online dating seems to be the choice for most people nowadays, so let’s find more about it.
10. Only 66% of individuals on dating sites schedule a date in real life.
Dating sites such as Tinder, Tagged, and OkCupid are excellent ways to start a conversation with strangers who might share the same interests as you. Still, there is a high chance that you will not meet every one of them. However, when two individuals meet up, the dating percentage shows that 66% are not sure whether they are on a date or not.
11. One of the lesser-known facts about online dating is that 59% of Americans believe online dating is an excellent way to meet new people.
(Pew Research Center)
More than half of the United States citizens agree that online dating is a great way to meet a potential partner. This figure is on the rise because, in 2005, only 44% of the surveyed people believed that online dating is a good idea.
12. 22% of people ask their friends to create and customize their online dating profiles.
According to online dating trends and dating app facts, one in five individuals interested in online dating requested someone else to help them review and write things on their profile. The stats show that 30% of these online users were female, whereas 16% were male users.
13. Recent dating website statistics showed that 49% of participants used the sites or applications to find an exclusive romantic partner.
Furthermore, the stats show that 29% of the respondents use dating sites and apps to test out the website or app, and 23% are just looking for casual sex. It is also shocking to find out that 7% of the respondents use these platforms to cheat on their partners.
14. Dating trends suggest that people who meet online and get married are less likely to break up within the first year.
Online marriages tend to last longer than in couples who did not meet online. Josué Ortega, one of the people who conducted the study (alongside Philipp Hergovich), said in an interview with Forbes that online dating leads to stronger marriages and an increase in the number of interracial marriages.
Interracial Dating Statistics
Interracial dating has had a turbulent history and was even illegal at one point in our history. Luckily, today we know better. So, here are a couple of stats to paint a clearer picture of this vital topic.
15. 17% of American married couples are interracial.
Approximately 11 million individuals in the United States are married to someone belonging to a different race. For instance, 18% of United States citizens who are African Americans tie the knot with someone of another race. This percentage is significantly higher than in 1980 (13%) when only 5% could marry interracially.
16. When it comes to Black-White marriages, interracial dating facts reveal that it is 2.65 times more likely that the husband is Black and the wife is White.
Indeed, 73% of all Caucasian and African-American marriages work in this manner. However, when it comes to Asian and White relationships, there is a 3.08 higher chance that the husband is White and the wife is Asian. African-American and Asian couples are rare, but there is a 6.15 times higher chance that the husband will be Black and the wife will be Asian when they do tie the knot.
17. According to race and dating statistics, 18% of Hispanic women are married to non-Hispanic men.
15% of Hispanic men are married to non-Hispanic women. This means that when a Hispanic person decides to tie the knot with someone who belongs to different ethnicity, the distinction between genders is almost nonexistent. When it comes to marriages between Caucasians and Hispanics, there is a 1.17% chance that the husband is White, and the wife is Hispanic.
18. Based on racial dating statistics, 42% of newlyweds in Honolulu are married to someone of different ethnicity or race.
The highest number of married interracial couples live in Hawaii. Honolulu is followed by Las Vegas, which is the home of 31% of interracial married couples. Also, the rates of interracial marriages are high in Santa Barbara, with an astonishing 30% of mixed couples. Generally, Asians and Latinos are most likely to tie the knot with someone out of their ethnicity or race.
Alerting Dating Abuse Statistics
Love doesn’t always turn out to be what we imagined it would be. The rather depressing data reveal that physical and mental abuse happens even in high-school relationships.
If you’re here trying to find out if it’s a phase or if it’s about you —it is not. Report abuse and, we cannot stress this enough, seek help in getting out from the abusive relationship. Here are some statistics on dating violence to encourage you and help you understand the issue at hand:
19. Almost 1.5 million American teens in high school experience abuse from a partner every year.
Abuse in dating is a real thing, and we shouldn’t overlook it. The stats show that one in three teens in the United States is a victim of sexual, emotional, verbal, or physical abuse from a partner. Furthermore, one in 10 teens in high school have been slapped, hit, or physically injured by their partner.
20. According to teen dating violence statistics, 94% of 16–19 year-olds have experienced a form of violence by their partner.
Based on alarming statistics, girls and young females between 16–24 are at the highest risk of becoming victims of their partners’ violence. They are also at a high risk of unplanned pregnancies, which makes the situation even more complicated.
Unfortunately, the numbers are nearly triple the average on a national level. Furthermore, 70% of young women between the ages of 20–24 fell victim to their girlfriends or boyfriends.
21. Based on college dating statistics, 43% of women in college who were in the dating world experienced abusive or violent dating patterns.
Unfortunately, students in college are typically not equipped to handle abuse in dating. According to the statistics, 57% have a hard time identifying abuse, and 58% are clueless on how to help someone who is a victim of dating abuse. Sadly, 16% of college women have become victims of sexual abuse while in the dating scene.
22. High school dating statistics show that 50% of the youth who has experienced rape or another form of dating violence have attempted suicide.
Violence early on in adolescent years puts individuals at a much higher risk for eating disorders such as bulimia, substance abuse, deviant sexual behavior, and even domestic violence later on in life. According to the facts, sexual and physical abuse while dating puts teens at six times higher risk of becoming pregnant.
23. 55% of date rapes happened in the victim’s home, according to the date rape statistics.
According to the stats, 18% of females and 1% of men become victims of rape during a point in their life. Out of these women, more than 35% are between the ages of 18–24. Someone close to the victim, such as a partner or an ex, commits 25% of date rapes.
24. Dating violence facts show that 40.8% of the time, the rapist is an acquaintance.
Even though many believe that a rapist is most commonly a stranger lurking in the shadows, the statistics show otherwise. The rapist is most likely an intimate partner such as a boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse (51%).
In contrast, a stranger is typically the rapist in 13.8% of the cases. Shockingly, in 12% of cases concerning rape, the violator is a member of the family.
How many serious relationships does the average person have?
It is difficult to estimate the number of serious partners an individual may have in their lifetime. However, a study of 2,000 adults found that men have six relationships (two of which last more than a year), while women have five.
Typically, men will also experience one long-distance relationship before finally finding “The One.” The researchers have also concluded that 94% of females believe in true love, while this is true for 88% of men.
What are the 5 stages of dating?
The first stage is the romance and the attraction stage. This stage happens at the very beginning of dating when couples are getting to know each other. When reality sets in, the second stage starts recognizing each other’s flaws and wonder if you are still in love.
The third stage is the disappointment stage (this is when the arguments may become bad), while the fourth stage is stability. Stage five is the stage of commitment, or when couples decide to stay together despite the circumstances.
Why do relationships fail?
There are different reasons why relationships may fail. Still, experts claim that these are the top six: lack of trust, egocentricity, compatibility issues, poor communication, anger, and lack of time for your partner.
If these reasons do not resolve within a specified period, the relationship is destined to break down and fail. Not being honest with, or ignoring, your core beliefs and non-negotiables, your stance on religion and faith, not sticking to what truly matters also spells out disaster in the long term.
Experts suggest to always be truthful and honest with your partner and to remain open. Also, keep in mind that it takes two people to build a healthy relationship.
In summary, the dating statistics in this article show that even though the dating scene has gone through changes throughout the decades (for example, online dating sites), many things remain the same. Men still prefer paying for dates, and many individuals abstain from sex before getting to know someone very well. However, the stats also show that the rates of dating violence have increased in modern times. Have fun, but remember to stay safe!
- Men’s Health
- Pew Research Center
- Pew Research Center
- Reader’s Digest
- Speed Dating Experiment
- Statistic Brain Research Institute
- Washington Post