Now more than ever, relaxation and peace of mind are crucial. Due to the coronavirus pandemic and the constant hustle and bustle of everyday life, we may end up feeling stressed out, exhausted, suffering from constant headaches, and being unable to sleep. The solution to this is—wellness.
The following wellness statistics will not only be about spas, healthy food, and similar things you might expect to see. Here you’ll learn about the latest trends in the wellness world, what stats say about wellness in different life aspects, and much more.
So, if you’re ready to dive into this topic, make yourself comfy, and read on.
Top Ten Relaxing Health and Wellness Industry Statistics
- In 2018, the global wellness economy market reached a mind-blowing $4.5 trillion.
- 5.3% of global economic output is represented by the wellness industry.
- 49% of individuals in the United States own a wearable gadget.
- The majority of wellness tourism revenues is driven by North America, $242 billion per year, to be precise.
- International wellness travelers spent an average of $1,528 per trip in 2017.
- According to corporate wellness programs statistics, over 50% of employers in the US have implemented wellness programs to reduce their enormous healthcare costs and increase productivity.
- In the United States, workplace wellness is a giant $6bn industry.
- Currently, Quip takes the number-one spot with annual revenue of approximately $11.1 million yearly.
- The spa industry market was projected to reach a whopping $154.6 billion by 2022.
- The fastest-growing country in the Asia-Pacific medical spa market is India, with a projected growth rate of 14.2% from 2018–2025.
Wellness Industry Statistics
The wellness industry is one of those industries that just keep growing. And it seems not even pandemics can endanger it. So, before we get to more complex stats, here are some basic numbers about the wellness industry of 2021.
1. The worldwide gluten-free retail market is expected to grow at the rate of 9.5% within the 2017–2024 time span.
There are currently millions of individuals worldwide suffering from Celiac disease, a condition that prevents them from consuming foods with gluten. Due to this reason, the demand for wheat- and gluten-free products is extremely high.
According to health and wellness statistics, the worldwide gluten-free retail market is forecasted to increase to a whopping $12.5 billion by 2024. Interestingly, the greatest demand for gluten-free products is in the Asia-Pacific region, whose market value has reached over $98.5 million.
2. What is the wellness industry worth?
In 2018, the global wellness economy market reached $4.5 trillion. What’s more surprising is that the lucrative industry grew by 6.4% yearly between 2015 and 2017, rising from $3.7 trillion to $4.2 trillion. Keep in mind that this growth is almost twice as rapid as global economic growth.
3. 5.3% of global economic output is represented by the wellness industry.
Furthermore, statistics reveal that among the wellness markets analyzed by the GWI Global Wellness Economy Monitor, the biggest leaders in revenue growth from 2015–2017 were wellness real estate (6.4%), wellness tourism (6.5%), and the spa industry (9.8%).
4. Trends in the health and wellness industry lead to the estimation that the wearables market will grow to $27 billion by 2022.
Virtual assistants and wearables are all the rage in the wellness industry, as they help people fully customize their fitness goals. These wearables involve fitness and health trackers, apps which encourage mental and emotional health, smartwatches, smart sneakers, and heart rate monitors.
5. 49% of individuals in the US own a wearable gadget, according to wellness facts.
Based on a PwC report from 2018, approximately half the people in America own wearable devices or use a virtual assistant. When asked why they invested in a wearable device, 70% of them claimed that it would help them live longer. Also, 63% got it to maintain a healthy weight, while 62% wanted to lower their insurance premium expenses.
6. Wellness trips comprise 17% of all tourism expenditures, based on wellness program statistics.
Wellness tourism is rapidly growing, with more and more people traveling to different areas of the world to de-stress and share memories with loved ones. In 2019, the wellness travel market’s worth was $639 billion, and it keeps growing at a steady rate. For example, its growth rate maintained a remarkable 6.5% rate during the period from 2015 to 2017.
The most popular destinations among wellness enthusiasts include Asia-Pacific, Middle East-North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, and Latin America-Caribbean. However, the number-one destination over the last five years has been Asia.
7. Data from 2018 indicates that wellness tourism revenues are largely driven by North America—$242 billion a year.
Furthermore, the stats on the growth of the health and wellness industry show that the majority of wellness trips, about 292 million annually, are driven by Europe. However, the growth leader is Asia-Pacific, displaying a shocking 33% growth rate in wellness trips in the previous couple of years.
8. International wellness travelers spent an average of $1,528 per trip in 2017, according to health and wellness fun facts.
Wellness travelers like to spend money, and they like to spend big. In fact, in 2017, they spent 53% more than the regular international tourist. As for domestic wellness travelers’ premium, it amounted to $609 per trip. That means they spent 178% more money than the average domestic traveler.
9. On average, consumers spend over $100 monthly or $1,300 yearly on skincare products and nutritional supplements.
According to wellness statistics derived from the Beauty, Health, and Wellness Survey from 2018, consumers cash out serious money for skincare and nutritional supplements. The survey revealed that Gen Xers and Baby boomers spend more money on nutritional supplements such as vitamins and herbal products, while Millennials are mostly preoccupied with skincare.
10. The most popular place for purchasing nutritional supplements is Amazon.
Health and wellness facts reveal that Amazon offers health-conscious individuals an excellent selection of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, digestive supplements, etc.
Some of the most popular nutritional supplements on Amazon US for September 2018 were MuscleTech CellTech Creatine Powder Grape Flavour (monthly sales volume of $5,999) and Nutrition Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder 600 g ($230,550).
Corporate Wellness Statistics
Prevention is better than cure. Large corporations spend a lot of money on their employees’ healthcare. However, some of them realized that there is a bit of truth in this proverb, so they started preventing health problems — welcome to the world of corporate healthcare.
11. When it comes to the benefits of corporate wellness programs, statistics reveal that over 50% of employers in the US have implemented wellness programs to reduce healthcare costs, improve job satisfaction, and increase productivity.
Big corporations with health coverage are cashing out an estimated $11,716 per employee every year. For some companies, this may add up to approximately $585 million each year.
With such great costs, it’s not surprising that many companies turn to wellness-associated saving methods. However, less than half of them, or 42%, indicate real savings and return on investment to the organization. The reasons for this vary.
12. In the US, the workplace wellness market size is $6 billion.
Furthermore, stats reveal that companies with over 20,000 employees set aside approximately $878 per individual on different wellness programs. The two main types of such programs are Chronic Disease Management (additional support for employees with chronic conditions) and Lifestyle Management programs (wearables, exercising, healthy nutrition, etc.).
13. What is the fastest growing health and wellness company? In 2019, Quip was in the lead, with annual revenue of approximately $11.1 million.
Quip is a company that designs and delivers products and services intended for oral health maintenance. Their main goal is to make oral health accessible, simple, and highly enjoyable. Quip’s revenue is followed by that of SoClean, Peloton Interactive, Calm.com, and hims & hers.
14. What percentage of employees participate in wellness programs? A 2017 survey suggests about 70% of employees are willing to take proactive steps to improve their health.
However, 63% of employees don’t want to devote over an hour a day to better their health. Employee health and wellness statistics have also shown that a surprising 62% of respondents would try to use a wearable such as an Apple Watch as part of a corporate wellness program.
15. In 2017, fitness trackers were already worn by 25% of employees.
As the same employee wellness programs statistics for 2017 indicate, the percentage of employees using their own fitness tracker had risen from 13% in 2016. Fitness trackers can be highly useful, as employers can create different step challenges and offer prizes for the employees who take the most steps.
Spa Industry Statistics
Times when the spa was considered a luxury are long gone. In 2021, we all get to pamper ourselves in the style of Hollywood stars. Take a deep breath, relax and scroll through these numbers about the spa industry.
16. The spa industry market is expected to reach $154.6 billion by 2022.
According to the Global Spa Services Market, the medical spa growth during 2016–2022 is expected to be the fastest so far. The spa market involves services such as body massages, pedicures, manicures, facials, body treatments, and so on.
17. The revenue for the wellness and spa industry is expected to decline by around 7.7% in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to spa statistics.
Due to the fact that it’s extremely difficult to successfully implement social distancing into spa services (because of the nature of the spa industry), it’s estimated that the revenue will suffer from the abovementioned decline.
Additionally, since a significant number of operators had to temporarily close to remain in agreement with the CDC, the utility costs are projected to decline as well.
18. The market size of the health and wellness spa industry in the US is $18 billion.
Furthermore, day spa industry statistics indicate the industry also counts 22,054 spa businesses and 365,997 employees in this country alone.
19. In 2017, there were more than 149,000 spas in the world.
Wellness facts and statistics also show these spas hired almost 2.5 million employees and earned an estimated $93.6 billion in revenues.
20. That same year, the leading spa market was the US one, with $20.8 billion.
Furthermore, wellness statistics also reveal that China came in second, with an estimated $8.2 billion. It was followed by Germany ($6.7bn), Japan ($5.7bn), and France ($3.6bn).
Based on GWI Global Wellness Economy Monitor’s reports, the spa industry will need an additional boost of 300,000 trained spa therapists and 54,000 spa directors/managers by 2022 to staff the booming worldwide spa business.
21. Globally, the medical spa market was valued at a total of $11.1 billion, back in 2017.
Furthermore, it’s believed that its value will reach an incredible $27.6 billion by 2025. According to medical spa industry statistics by Allied Market Research, this implies a 12.2% total annual growth rate over the given period.
22. The fastest-growing country in the Asia-Pacific medical spa market is India, with a projected growth rate of 14.2% from 2018–2025.
Medical spa statistics indicate that India will continue to be a popular spot among individuals looking for travel services that include different wellness packages, cultural immersion experiences, and Ayurvedic treatments. In fact, India’s spa industry proudly offers more than 2,300 spas that annually generate about $400 million in revenue.
Wellness Fun Facts
Taking care of yourself and staying positive despite hardships life may throw at you goes a long way. So, let’s finish this article on a positive note. Unless you pee in the pool, then these won’t be fun at all.
23. If you’re feeling tired, exercise may be a wise move.
If you’re feeling exhausted and super sleepy, your instincts might tell you to go to bed, or grab a high-calorie snack or a cup of coffee. However, we believe that exercise is the next best thing. One of the particularly useful and interesting health and wellness facts is that improved oxygen and blood circulation through the body can help you feel more energized. Also, it’s an excellent mood-elevator due to the release of endorphins.
24. Optimism may have a positive impact on your overall health.
Does looking at the bright side of life help you live longer? According to certain studies, there’s a possible link between optimistic thinking and a decreased risk of death from illness, stroke, infections, or cancer. In fact, this link was especially strong with people suffering from cardiovascular ailments and hypertension.
25. Peeing in a pool can be harmful to health, according to wellness fun facts (that aren’t fun).
(ACSPublications) (Science News)
Yes, you read this right. Experts state that chlorine and urine combined generate harmful chemicals. A 2017 study conducted by Blackstock et al. explains that the familiar “pool smell” is precisely the smell of those dangerous chemicals, among which is cyanogen chloride.
This chemical is known for irritating the lungs, eyes, and nose. Its harmfulness becomes even more obvious if we take into account that it’s actually treated as a chemical warfare agent.
26. Pregnant women who are physically active have more intelligent babies, based on wellness facts.
This claim was backed by a study published in the Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology. Namely, it shows that pregnant women who exercise on a regular basis help their baby’s development and brain function and that their children are born with more mature brains.
27. Kegel exercises can boost sexual wellness.
(Green is the New Black)
You might have heard of Kegel exercises, but you might not have known that men can do them too. According to health and wellness facts, these exercises are meant to tone and strengthen the pelvic floor, which leads to improved bladder control and more intense orgasms.
To do them, clench for about three seconds the muscles that make you stop the urine flow midstream, and then release for the same period of time. In order for this to be effective, you should perform the exercise a couple of times a day.
28. Dog owners are at lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
Here’s another benefit of having a dog: according to fun facts about health and wellness, these cute animals help decrease stress levels in the body. They also require regular walks and enjoy playing, which further motivates dog owners to be more physically active.
Since the leading cause of the cardiovascular disease is high levels of chronic stress, it’s not surprising to see why pet owners are at an advantage in this case. The American Heart Association reports that pooch owners usually have lower cholesterol and blood pressure levels than people who don’t have dogs.
What is the wellness industry?
The wellness and health industry includes activities and practices which encourage mental and physical well-being. This implies anything from healthy eating, yoga, meditation and mindfulness, beauty and personal care, spa treatments, and wellness tourism in general.
Years ago, wellness meant getting a massage or working out at the gym. However, nowadays, an increasing number of people are trying to live healthier, stress-free lives, so the demand for wellness services has gone up.
For instance, more people are opting for organic foods and products without gluten, dairy, refined carbohydrates, and sugar. Hence, the marketplace for these products is rapidly growing.
How big is the wellness market?
If you’ve made it this far in our article, you already know the wellness market is huge. As a reminder, in 2018, the global wellness economy market was worth no less than $4.5 trillion! Since an increasing number of people are starting to take better care of their physical and mental health, we’re not at all surprised by the amazing success of the health and wellness industry or its growth.
Globally speaking, a growing number of people are being more mindful of the importance of health and wellness, and this fact is clearly highlighted by the wellness statistics we’ve presented to you.
We believe it’s crucial for the success of the wellness and health industry not to merely focus on profit, but rather on the creation of different products and services that will help improve the clientele’s well-being.
If you enjoyed this article, please make sure to share it with your loved one. Have a great, stress-free day!